TAZ is just one of my 4 Mustangs. TAZ was the champion of the 2008 Idols division at the Extreme Mustang Makeover. He is an amazing horse. The bond that has formed between TAZ and myself is a bond that will never be broken. He gets me and I get him. Mom says that when I ride him, it is like poetry in motion.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

First Day of Training

I start my Mustangs in a small pen about 20' X 20' using a long cane pole. With the size of the pen and the length of the pole, I can stay towards the center of the pen and touch my Mustang without risking injury. This is my Mustang's first touching. The pole servers two purposes; touching and the reward of scratching. The pole will basically rest on the withers until the horse stops, at which points he gets the reward of the pole scratching. I continue the process until I get to touch him all over with the pole. It has worked really well with all of the mustangs that I have trained.

No comments:

Post a Comment